Like Tree1Likes

Thread: stuck in boot loop on stock phone, need to recover data

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

stuck in boot loop on stock phone, need to recover data

hi everyone,

for some reason my phone has been in a boot loop all day. i read somewhere that this could be due to getting out of the wifi range and then rebooting, which i think happened. in anycase, i am now stuck in a boot loop. ive been doing a lot of researching on how to recover from this, but i basically gave up. i am resorting to restoring to factory settings. BUT before i do this, i wanted to backup my data from the internal storage. i need to pull from the /data/data folder but i need to be rooted in order to to that because that folder does not have read permissions... i tried doing this all day but with no success. i followed the following guide on rooting this phone:

How To: ROOT your Droid Charge

s
    pecifically this section:

If you are on the latest build (FP1) and you just want to root and stay on Stock, without losing user data, follow these steps:
    **Note: To keep stock recovery from overwriting CWM you'll need to make an edit to a system file. If you are uncomfortable with this, you might want to skip this step and go to the next section.**

1. Boot in to CWM recovery, use the quick primer instructions above if you're new to this (Note: You should already have installed CWM as instructed above)
    2. Select "mounts" menu then mount/system. If the option says unmount/system then you are good to go.
    3. Select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard"
    4. Find and install the Superuser zip.
    5. Select “Reboot” option.
    6. Get root explorer (or similar, such as ES or Astro) from the Market/Play Store. Make sure you mount as R/W (in root explorer, there's a button at the top)
    7. Navigate to system, etc and locate the file "install-recovery.sh" and either delete it, or rename it to "install-recovery.sh.bak"
    8. You will now have to go back and use Odin and install cwm once again (follow steps above as you did the first time)
    9. Reboot phone.
    10. You're done. You now have a rooted phone and you can install an app (we recommend Titanium Backup) to freeze and/or remove bloatware.
    i got through the CWM part, but i am now stuck in the root explorer part... since i cant boot i cant actually set any permissions for the folders through root explorer... is there a way of doing it through the command prompt?

also, whenever i do:
    'adb shell'
    'su'

i get this: '$ [1] segmentation fault su'
    in other words i cant get '#' to show up. am i doing something wrong?

any help in the matter will be greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by nos1989; 05-19-2012 at 08:04 PM.

2. Ads

jdpeters79
    Hi nos, welcome to the forum!

If you are unable to boot your phone with success, then unfortunately the "how to root" guide isn't going to do you much good. With our guide you'd need to be able to boot into the system and install root explorer for that portion to work.

I can't give you much adb advice on the Charge because I've never used it on the Charge. So I'm not sure of an adb method that works with success.

I'm not following on why you got into a boot loop though, going back to the original problem. I really don't think that has anything to do with wifi, unless I'm misunderstanding something. Have you tried pulling the battery and letting it sit for about 10 minutes, then see if you can boot back up? That's the first thing I'd recommend. Simply installing CWM on your phone with the how-to guide didn't do any harm, fyi. So it should still boot up if that's all you tinkered with in the how-to guide.

But before you go in and tweak anymore and try to root, let's see if you can boot back into your phone first. If not, then unfortunately your option is probably to return to factory stock, and you'd lose data. However - it's worth pointing out that you WILL NOT lose the data on your SD card, such as photos, etc. And all of your paid apps will still be available via the Play Store. So in the end, it's cumbersome, but you aren't losing everything. Just wanted to point that out.
    Last edited by jdpeters79; 05-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thank you for your reply, jdpeters79.

quick question about loosing data - will contacts and messages be lost too or are they stored on the sd? the entire i am trying to backup my data is because i logged into my google account to see which contacts were synced, and unfortunately the last sync happened in December 2011. since then i've added several new contacts that i wouldn't want to loose.

going back to the adb stuff, i can access the device through adb and send it commands... ive pulled the systems folder and saved it on my computer, however i cant do so on the data folder because it is read protected. im not too familiar with adb and shell commands in genenral, but is there a way to change the permission of the folder? or do i have to be a super user to do that?

thanks again!

jdpeters79
    Just going back to the original problem real quick - have you tried a battery pull? And if so was it (no kidding) 10 full minutes? It's very strange for a phone running on stock to go into a boot loop. Typically I've seen that happen more often with a settings tweak on a rooted phone.

Yes, unfortunately you would lose your contacts and SMS/MMS messages if you wipe data. When you are booted in Android, there's an option to sync contacts under settings, accounts & sync. If you check this, it will continuously update and sync with google. Just for future reference.

As for adb... I've only used it to unlock a bootloader and push CWM on a GNex. Never tried other commands with it. My thought is that you won't easily get root access to specific folders with adb.

And I'm gonna recommend not tinkering with it too much, especially if you've never used it before. We always say the Charge is nearly unbrickable. But we say that in the context of using Odin and the tools we have here, and not adb. You run the risk of changing something and not being able to go back to stock, unless you have a sure fire method. Which I don't unfortunately.

Good luck! Sorry you are having issues... It's no fun losing info and data, but sometimes it can be nice to do some spring cleaning too Just looking for a silver lining, lol

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yeah ive tried pulling the battery out several times for even longer than 10 minutes. this is a very strange problem, i couldnt find on google anyone who's experienced the same problem with this phone, but i did find some people having this problem on one of the nexus phones. essentially their problem (which is also very strange) is that they had wifi on, went out of the wifi range and when the phone turned off (due to dead battery or restart) with the wifi still on it would go into a bootloop. i am suspecting that this could also be a problem on the charge since this is exactly what happened to me.

jdpeters79
    Gotcha... that stinks. Sorry to hear it. I've never encountered that wifi problem, but I've seen some strange things.

For what it's worth, I think you might need to use this guide to return to stock. It's a pretty straight forward process using Odin, which you ate now familiar with from trying to root. http://www.chargeforums.com/forum/droid-charge-hacking-guides/727-flashing-roms-return-stock-odin-picture.html#post4140

But it wipes your user data. I don't know of a good way for you to recover that unfortunately. But I do know this method will return your phone to working again. Please just read through the guide carefully. Post on that thread if you run into problems.

**tappin'**

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks again jeff!

im still not quite ready to give into wiping the data lol, im gonna see if anyone's familiar with the adb stuff... so if anyone could please help me out with this id greatly appreciate it!

just to clarify again, here's where i am stuck:
    ive followed the root guide posted on this forum,

If you are on the latest build (FP1) and you just want to root and stay on Stock, without losing user data, follow these steps:
    **Note: To keep stock recovery from overwriting CWM you'll need to make an edit to a system file. If you are uncomfortable with this, you might want to skip this step and go to the next section.**

1. Boot in to CWM recovery, use the quick primer instructions above if you're new to this (Note: You should already have installed CWM as instructed above)
    2. Select "mounts" menu then mount/system. If the option says unmount/system then you are good to go.
    3. Select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard"
    4. Find and install the Superuser zip.
    5. Select “Reboot” option.
    6. Get root explorer (or similar, such as ES or Astro) from the Market/Play Store. Make sure you mount as R/W (in root explorer, there's a button at the top)
    7. Navigate to system, etc and locate the file "install-recovery.sh" and either delete it, or rename it to "install-recovery.sh.bak"
    8. You will now have to go back and use Odin and install cwm once again (follow steps above as you did the first time)
    9. Reboot phone.
    10. You're done. You now have a rooted phone and you can install an app (we recommend Titanium Backup) to freeze and/or remove bloatware.
    i am stuck on step 6. based on my understanding this part is very critical because the install-recovery overrides CWM recovery. i can't boot into my phone so i cant actually use root explorer, however i feel like there must be a way of doing this through the adb shell but unfortunately my knowledge of adb is not that broad.

my questions are, is it even possible to be in temp root without actually booting into the OS after doing steps 1-5? next question is what are the commands to rename the install-recovery file? do i need to chmod something? mount? mv? once again, im not too familiar with these commands but i have seen them around through research ive done so far.

jdpeters79
    You are correct that you would need to boot into the phone for step 6 to work. If you just went through step 5, then booted again, CWM would not stick. But this whole guide pertains to being able to boot into the phone. With what you are trying to do, it might not even matter.

I hear ya on being curious about adb and perhaps someone will chime in. That would be cool, to find an outside work around. We certainly welcome all input! However I just want to caution again - be paranoid when using adb. A false move could cause big issues, and there's no guarantees we'll be able to recover.

Droid Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    If you can get into CWM recovery, make sure /system is mounted and then try to run the adb commands from there. If all you are trying to do is get rid of install-recovery.sh then something like

adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

should work, though there are a number of ways (like mv or chmod) one could do this really. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by dwitherell; 05-20-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    jdpeters79 likes this.

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwitherell View Post
    If you can get into CWM recovery, make sure /system is mounted and then try to run the adb commands from there. If all you are trying to do is get rid of install-recovery.sh then something like

adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

should work, though there are a number of ways (like mv or chmod) one could do this really. Hope this helps!
    thanks dwitherell! yeah after thinking about it i figured i would be able to be in su mode once i plug in the phone to the computer when it is in the CWM recovery menu. i did that and it worked! i now have a '#' symbol when im in the shell!!
    next question, i guess i dont really need to fully root the phone, temp root is fine for what im trying to do, im just trying to dump my contacts and sms data to my computer. do i need to mount the data folder for that? is that where its located? when i do it and type 'ls -l' in shell it shows that it's 0 bytes

Ads