Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: [2013-01-09]Lazarus Recharged Kernel

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Post [2013-01-09]Lazarus Recharged Kernel

Introducing the Lazarus Recharged kernel for the Droid Charge - just because your phone is old, doesn't mean development for it should die!

Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, and here's your present: a fresh kernel for the SCH-1510 with fixes and functionality never yet seen on this platform! I decided to rename the kernel in order to avoid stepping on imnuts's namespace any longer, so we're now Lazarus Recharged.

I've picked up where imnuts left off in his PBJ 0524 kernel, pulling in his kernel and initramfs GitHub repos, and working through the problems that took having a Droid Charge in hand to fix. I've put fresh builds of most of the kernel modules into /lib/modules. They're debug-stripped for size reasons. If we have significant problems I'll release a build with unstripped versions.

Big thank yous to imnuts, the previous maintainer of this project! Thanks also to imoseyon, supercurio, and all the Cyanogenmod 7 devs who worked on this platform when it was newer. Also thanks to dwitherell for continuing ROM development on the Charge, and to all those who tested these kernels and provided feedback.

Please reference the original thread project for the feature list that was already included in 0524. They should all be active in 1213 and later. If any are missing or not working, please let me know!

Installation Instructions:
    1. Download zip
    2. Transfer to SDCard
    3. Reboot into recovery, you'll need to have CWM if you don't already
    4. Install zip from SDCard and select the zip you downloaded.
    5. Reboot and enjoy!

Download FP5E Version:

removed zram dependency on modprobe, added default swappiness of 10 when zram active
    upgraded to Linaro 4.5 arm-eabi toolchain for builds

Integrated SVNET_WHITELIST and backported whitelist sysfs support to fix suspend-related hotboots
    Built and added zram.ko from the kernel 2.6 compcache project to provide optional compressed swap support. See FAQ for activation instructions.
    Deactivated obsolete ramzswap support, added CRYPTO_LZO to guarantee library support for external zram build
    Reactivated SEC_LOG

Merged fast charge patch; Fast Charge *should* be working
    Turned off hung_task_panic in lpm.rc, should prevent the reboots after 4-5 min of low power mode charging
    Activated RCU CPU stall detector (may help identify causes of lagginess)

Modularized Android logger.ko to avoid duplicate log errors
    Disabled install_root script in init.rc that was causing some users to lose root
    Stripped modules with strip --strip-unneeded for size reduction
    Fixed add_swap script and renamed fatformat to fat.format

Merged and debugged FP5E source

SOURCE LINKS:
    Kernel 2.6.35.7 source
    Initramfs source directory

NOTES:
    If you are experiencing problems, I need detailed info to be able to fix it or help you out. Failure to provide detailed info will mean I'm just going to ignore your problem as user error. Details would be something such as which kernel you are flashing (filename) and steps to reproduce the issue. Also, please note if you used any other kernels that had the same problem or didn't have the problem.

DISCLAIMER
    By downloading and using the kernels, this signifies that you have read this full post and the FAQ before reporting an issue. You also take all responsibility if your phone breaks or your warranty becomes void (which, if you're flashing this, it already is). I offer no guarantees as to anything working. Please note that this kernel is "nightly" quality, meaning it has been tested only by me and not thoroughly. If you can't afford to have your phone not work for at least a little while, don't install this!

2. Ads

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Frequently Asked Questions

How do I install this?
    You flash this in CWM. If you need CWM, you can find it here

Can I use ROM Manager to flash this?
    If you didn't use Odin to flash CWM, this will not work. Also, ROM Manager is not compatible with CWM when it fully replaces stock recovery.

Does this kernel support ext4 partitions?
    Yes, there is full ext4 and rfs support in this kernel.

Can I install this over another Voodoo Lagfix kernel?
    Yes, but this kernel does not support conversion. It will work with both rfs and ext4 but will not allow automatic conversion from one to the other.

How do I know if it is installed?
    Go to Settings > About Phone and the kernel version should read:

Gingerbread
    2.6.35.7-FP5

If you have adb shell or a terminal emulator, the kernel builder signature at the top of `dmesg` should be "ryan@sigdrac"

Will this work with xxx ROM?
    This should work with any currently available ROM that is posted here. It has only been tested with dwitherell's Tweaked 3.1 so far.

Can I overclock with this kernel?
    Overclocking is supported on the Gingerbread version.

Can I use SetCPU with this kernel?
    You can use SetCPU with this, but issues may arise if you use profiles. If you have problems and are using profiles, I'm not going to try to fix them as profiles do not always work properly on SGS phones.

Can I use Fast Charging with this kernel?
    Fast charging support is experimental as of the 1219 release. Any means of writing "1" to "/sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge" will turn on fast charge mode. The Samsung battery driver does not publish a charging current variable, so there is no way to determine the charging current exactly (without an ammeter, that is!) I have done timed recharge trials on AC and on USB with fast charge active, and the recharge rates I achieved were comparable across both cases. Community testing will determine if it's reliable for everyone.

Can I use zram compressed memory swap on this kernel?
    Yes. Create a file called /data/local/usezram, and put in it just a single number on one line. That number will be used as the number of megabytes of swap to provide. Compressed swap will consume about 20-50% of the uncompressed size you choose. Reboot and the zram0 block device will be created and activated for swap with the size you specified. So far, I have tested 32, 64, and 96. To deactivate, delete /data/local/usezram and reboot.

Does this kernel include xxx feature?
    If it is not listed in the first post, probably not. To be sure, check the commits to the source on Github.

Can you add/implement xxx feature?
    If you can link to what you want added/changed, I can look into doing so. If you just say something like "I want bigger quadz!" with no information about what you want or where to find it, I'll just disregard your request.

I am having xxx issue, can you fix it?
    See the NOTES section above. Failure to provide any steps to reproduce your error, or a log of the issue as it is occurring will not get your problem fixed. I need the output from logcat and/or dmesg to be able to fix problems. Use the following to obtain a log (easiest with ADB).
    adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt
    adb logcat > logcat.txt
    Enter one of the commands and attempt to recreate your issue. Logcat will run constantly until you stop it (disconnect the phone, or ctrl+c). Dmesg will dump the current buffer and end. Try to get a logcat first as it will be easier to capture the error. PM me the files once you've collected them and I will look into it. DO NOT POST THEM IN THE FORUM. Logcat and dmesg may both contain identifying information (like your phone number or email address) so PMing them to me will prevent everyone from seeing this info.

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times

Re: [2013-01-09]Lazarus Recharged Kernel

I've been testing kernel effect on battery life for the past week. Data is being collected via better battery stats. I will report my findings some time in the next week or so.

Side note: I noticed after going from stock to 1214PB&J that loading new Widgets in Holo takes FOREVER. Some times the Widgets selection screen never comes up at all until I restart Holo. Anybody else notice that behavior? I'm going to try to reinstall it tonight to see if that fixes it.

Tappin ...

Tw3@k3d 3.2 / 1214 PB&J Kernel / ICSorcery / 200-1200MHz OC / HOLO

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I flashed this kernel and have battery drain issues now. How do I go back to the stock kernel? I found the FP5 Kernel that you would flash if on FP1 so can I just find and flash FP1 over Lazarus and then flash FP5 over that? I know it's probably not that easy...
    Last edited by Jdawg334; 01-15-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    415 times

In the OP For Tweaked there is a link to the stock kernel.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Tweaked 3.2
    All Beta'd Out
    Runnin' PBJ
    Hey I'm here to help.
    If you have any questions,
    feel free to PM me.

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Ok I see where he has another link in the top post on that page but just wanted to make sure that that one does not require that you be on FP1 first right?

As far as kernels are concerned - there is always the stock fp5 kernel, but thanks to the great work of kynalvarus picking up where
    as this one does

FP1 to FP5 modem updater
    NOTE: You MUST be on FP1H modems for this to work!
    md5: 211CC95B1479B0DD2A91199745B87A4C

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    415 times

All you need is the stock kernel. You should already be on FP5 if you we're running the kernel

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Tweaked 3.2
    All Beta'd Out
    Runnin' PBJ
    Hey I'm here to help.
    If you have any questions,
    feel free to PM me.

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Over the course of the last week, I have been testing the effect of kernel on battery charge depletion. I've been using Better Battery Stats to collect data. To date, I have been updating progress of this testing on another thread. But I felt it was more appropriate to share this data on this thread, as it pertains directly to kernel (all other variables are fixed ... aside from usage, which I tried to keep as consistent as possible).

I've tested the following kernels:

Stock FP5E
    121214 PB&J
    121219 PB&J
    121225 Lazarus
    130109 Lazarus

These tests have been run with the Tweaked 3.2 ROM. I've been using Holo as a launcher. Also, usage frequency is low to moderate, as this represents my usage of the phone over the course of a regular work day.

I've been overclocking the CPU using Tegrak (on stock kernel) and using Voltage Control (on PB&J & Lazarus kernels). OC low frequency is 200MHz. High is 1200 MHz. Governer used is "ondemand". i/o is "cfq".

The metric I've chosen to focus on is battery discharge rate. I've also recorded the top 5 wakelocks and 5 kernel wakelocks for each run.

Please take a look at the following chart. The red bars indicate battery discharge rates in %/hr. The blue bars are the same rate, but weighted by the amount of time the screen was turned off during the test over the total test time. The blue bars are more representative of how the phone was operating while the screen was off. Also, I've recorded the #1 ranked kernel wakelock for each test.

Notice the worst performer is the 1219 pb&j kernel @ 11 %/hr. The best performer is the stock kernel @ 6 %/hr. Also, note that the 1214 pb&j kernel is the next best performer @ 7 %/hr, and the latest 0109 Lazarus kernel is close behind @ 7.8 %/hr.
    kernel_effect_on_battery_discharge.jpg
    Notice that the lead kernel wakelock for the stock kernel is the "PowerManagerService". Also, notice that the lead for the 1219 kernel is "deleted_wake_locks". Also, notice that as the kernel matures, the "PowerManagerService" kernel wakelock becomes more dominant.

Here is the detailed battery history for each test. It's interesting to me that at roughly 65% SOC most discharge rates increase substantially. Notice this in "stock", "0109" and "1219" kernels' runs.
    raw_battery_discharge.jpg

Conclusions: It seems to me that the optimal kernel for battery discharge rate is the stock kernel. 0109 Lazarus kernel behaves very similarly though. Obviously, the new features in the kernel must be weighed into this assessment as well. IMHO, the "fast charge", "overclocking" and "voodoo sound" features are extremely useful. As such, personally, I will not be going back to the stock kernel. All things considered, I would recommend those interested in these features, and best battery depletion rates, should consider using the 130109 Lazarus kernel.

Here is a LINK to the raw BBS data, and the excel summary.

Hope this helps people out.
    Last edited by mddexter; 01-19-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times

Tman, the link you just posted over on xda seems to be dead. Just an fyi.

Thanks for posting it over there by the way! I often go there to read up on what non-chargeforums folks are doing. I can't seem to get the motivation to make ten Q&A posts just so I can post in the threads over there. It feels a bit hoity / toity too. Plus, you chargeforum folks are a fun crowd, so I tend to spend most of my time here any way.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    tmanschuette and gunner31 like this.

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    271 times
    It's awesome you're compiling this data, and sharing it with all of us!

I wonder if the big difference between your setup and mine is Holo vs. Blackness-theme-stock launcher. I had good battery life on every kernel with Tweaked 3.2 (including stock FP5 like you), until I went to 130109, when my battery life TANKED. I swear the kernel was the only change.

Well, another difference between your setup and mine is you were overclocking on all kernels, and I didn't try overclocking until a couple days ago, on 1225 kernel.
    Last edited by raddison0264; 01-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    mddexter likes this.
    -Rich
    TweakedLite beta, Stock FP8 kernel
    An engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as you needed
    01 Suzuki Intruder 800

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads