+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "Unable to charge non-supported battery. See users manual." with non Samsung battery

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

"Unable to charge non-supported battery. See users manual." with non Samsung battery

Someone please help me get around this.

I bought a Yiboyuan brand Universal Battery Charger With USB Output and two Acesoft brand batteries on ebay. I bought it because the Wall charger charges one battery and is supposed to charge the other battery simultaneously while it is in the phone.

The Samsung Droid Charge will not allow charging a generic battery in the phone. When it is turned on with the USB cable attached it says - "Unable to charge non-supported battery. See users manual" . When turned on without the charger, a fully wall-charged generic battery just says "Non-supported battery, see Users Manual.

The wall charger DC output to the battery installed in it is 4.2V ~ 350mA ~ +/- 50mA while the USB DC output is 5.2V ~800mA.
    The batteries are Acesoft EB504465VU Li-Ion 3.7V / (5.5Wh) / 1500mAh.

The Samsung Droid Charge AC-to-USB Charger's DC output is 5V / 1.0A. ( same msg about 'unable to charge unsupported battery...')
    The original Samsung Droid Charge battery is an EB504465IZ Li-Ion 3.7V / 5.92Wh / (1600mAh).

Once charged in the wall charger, these generic batteries work and display the correct % of charge in SETTINGS - ABOUT PHONE - STATUS - BATTERY LEVEL %. Also on the Home screen the Battery Icon / Bar Graph indicator works and shows the correct charge level, but when the charger is connected, it alternates between that and flashing a Red outline of the battery, indicating a non-OEM battery is installed.

Yes the I could just charge these batteries in the wall charger while the USB cable charges the genuine Samsung battery inside the phone, but I want these generic batteries to charge inside the phone and stay charged while driving so I won't have to pull over to swap batteries when I have one of these installed.

I read that there was a way to get around this with old Droid's. There must be a work-around with the Samsung Droid Charge also. Anybody know? Thank you for solutions that will keep this thread short for others.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Generic batteries/accessories are hit or miss. I prefer OEM accessories to avoid these issues. I haven't seen a fix for this. Maybe in time since the charge is so new. Seems like its a voltage issue though.

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It is not a voltage issue. It is the OS blocking competitors batteries and using chips inside the batteries to identify them. Android forums mentioned that Droid X 2.1 worked with 2.1 firmware, but after 2.2 firmware update, it would no longer allow non-OEM batteries. The Charge is likely using the same kind of technique to enforce a monopoly. This sounds like an issue for the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) to look into. This kind of competition blocking is illegal.

I am still waiting for the ebay seller to respond. They are described as "Compatible Brand: Samsung" and "Best replacement for the original battery."

I was careful to describe the specifications of these items EXACTLY so that anyone else will be able to see whether or not 'should be' acceptable or if they 'can be made to' recharge when installed in a Droid Charge. If they can not, they are NOT compatible, and they are NOT the best replacement.

I see a "Universal Battery Only Charger" for a Droid X sold by Verizon Store on Youtube that accepts both Micro and Mini USB connectors to allow charging without the phone. I can't find one yet for Droid Charge with its unique battery. The goal here is to get generic batteries to recharge inside the phone.

Developers and hackers hang here, so I am seeking a solution here.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Its manufacturers protecting their devices from subpar chinese knock offs. An OEM battery is a few bucks more.

Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid-Xer View Post
    Its manufacturers protecting their devices from subpar chinese knock offs. An OEM battery is a few bucks more.
    I agree I dont see any FTC violation in this. Also thats what happens when you buy stuff on ebay it doesnt always work
    Motorola Droid 09-11/ Droid Charge 11-?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    with the money I spent on this thing I'm not putting anything generic into it

... but I do understand your frustration OP.

Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If the eBay seller advertised compatibility with your phone and it is not compatible, the seller should give you a refund.
    If the seller does not respond and you paid with PayPal, file a claim with PayPal in a timely manner and they will get you a refund.

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It is just a 3.7V battery! There is nothing "Sub-par' about it, except that the "Chip" inside it does not have "the secret ID".

There is 'no reason' to block someone elses battery which meets voltage and current specifications.

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    SUCCESS! There IS an Acesoft EB504465VU MODEL # SA8M920 Li-Ion 3.7V / 1800mAh that works perfectly! ! ! Yes 1800mAh, not 1600mAh like Samsung's or 1500 mAh like the first Acesoft's I tried which had NO model #. That makes it 112.5% compatible with Samsung standard issue noted above on June 4, 2011.

I am HAPPY! I am so happy with this eBay seller too.

However, the DUAL Wall Charger & USB output charger can NOT handle charging two batteries at once. When plugged into the phone with ANY battery in the phone AND a second battery in the Wall Charger, the Touch-Screen locks up.

Does anyone know of a GOOD Dual charger?

Also, is there and "Battery-Only" Car Charger for Droid Charge that allows a spare battery to be charged while NOT in the phone?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Sweet glad ya got it all figured out!

Ads