Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Guide: How to Root EE4 (stock) w/ Voodoo lagfix + CWM

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Guide: How to Root EE4 (stock) w/ Voodoo lagfix + CWM

***10/15/2011 NOTE: This is an older guide...it will work but some of the links are no longer active. A newer guide has been posted HERE. ***

DISCLAIMER:
    ChargeForums.com, myself, and anyone mentioned (in links provided) take no responsibility for anything that may happen to your device. This is meant to be a simple guide to help, please familiarize yourself with what's being done as to prevent panic should something go wrong. ALSO A BIG THANK YOU (AND CREDIT) to all those involved in the files/threads I've linked to! (I take no credit, for I did nothing!)

This is what I did step by step... I was on EE4 build completely stock - no root.

* At the time I was writing this I found another very detailed guide here [HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4 - xda-developers. It does a great job of explaining options for kernels and ROMs. If you don't want the voodoo lag fix kernel then check out the link.

The method in the thread linked is different than how I rooted and loaded CWM (opposite order)... but I had success with my method (as did others) which is why I'm sharing. The Guide I linked to above may very well be a more 'proper' way to install everything. Use your own discretion.

GETTING STARTED:

... assuming you have Odin v1.3 installed already and the Samsung drivers. If not... here is the link for Odin http://goo.gl/52aY1 and here is the driver needed http://goo.gl/Tbcca

You will also need this file (found here) [Fix]EE4 sdcard write protection for root users - xda-developers in order to fix the write SD card error that is present when rooting the EE4 build. This needs to be loaded onto your SD card BEFORE you root! If not, you will have to remove you SD card from your phone, load it into an adapter and plug into your PC in order to write ANY files to it. So I suggest doing this before.

7/24/11 *update/edit: It's advised to leave the battery in when flashing in Odin. It increases the success rate flashing through Odin and flashing a radio file without the battery in place can lead to a bricked device.

ESTABLISHING ROOT AND VOODOO LAG FIX

- I took the battery out of my device.
    - Loaded Odin v1.3 on my PC.
    - Plugged in my device into the USB and then held down the volume (-) down button. A yellow triangle will appear. Odin should then recognize your device (yellow box device ID will confirm this)
    - Selected "PDA" button (very important, only use this function!) in Odin and loaded this file... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14764513/Voo...ernel4.tar.md5
    *This is jt1134's kernel (not sure how up to date it is as it was posted May 23/24th. imnuts PeanutButta Jelly Time kernel [link provided in second post] is a more up to date kernel, and gives you the option to go with noVoodoo lagfix.). Also, you can always change kernels thru CWM at any time. Just make sure to disable voodoo lag fix if you have it enabled and are going to a noVoodoo kernel.... if you're going from one kernel w/ voodoo lag fix to another w/ voodoo lag fix you do not need to disable the lag fix.)
    - Pressed START. File loaded onto my device (in the box that turned yellow to identify your device it should turn green and say "Passed" Robotic voice confirmed voodoo lag fix was taking place. Phone rebooted.
    - This also rooted my device! Confirmed with root checker, superuser app, (other apps using su permissions) and in terminal.
    - YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE ROOT ACCESS AND THE VOODOO LAG FIX.

INSTALLING CWM (Clockwork Mod Recovery)

- After rebooting my phone with the battery back in it to check for root access I then powered down and removed the battery again.
    - I opened ODIN v1.3 again, connected my device to the USB (without battery) and entered the download mode (hold volume (-) down until yellow triangle appears)
    - ODIN recognized my device again and I selected the "PDA" button (again, very important to only use this function!) again.
    - I then loaded this file [RECOVERY][7-30-11]Clockwork Mod Recovery into ODIN. *link updated 7/31/11

FOLLOW THESE STEPS BEFORE PRESSING START!
    - When in Download mode with the battery out, put the battery back in and uncheck Auto-Reboot in Odin. When done flashing, remove the battery and USB cable, put the battery back in and reboot
    (this is different then when you flashed the voodoo kernel as you kept auto-reboot checked (it is by default anyway) and did not re-insert the battery until after installation was complete)
    - Rebooted, checked for root again (confirmed) and then powered down.
    - Entered recovery mode (home key + volume (+) up + power button)
    - Confirmed CWM. (It's the yellow version but so far I can confirm it works, imnuts, a dev uploaded a working version in the thread I linked to. If you want the Red CWM it's in post #62 in that same thread. I've been told the RED CWM can not navigate back screens... just a heads up.)
    - Now that I was in CWM Recovery I installed this file [Fix]EE4 sdcard write protection for root users - xda-developers from the SD card. It is the SD card write error (EE4) fix.

- Rebooted and have been running fine since.

APPS THAT ARE SAFE TO FREEZE

Droid Charge Bloatware Safe to Freeze

You can use Titanium Backup or MyBackUpPro to freeze apps. (I don't recommend deleting. Freezing gives you a much easier option to restore them should you need them for an update or any other reason.)
    *update: I've recently purchased and started using Bloat Freezer. It's a very simple interface and works great.

I don't claim to be an expert... this is just how I went about rooting my device and installing CWM. Please use caution and do some research first to understand what's going on.

If anything I've mentioned is improper or wrong please, please contact me so that a correction can be made!!!
    Last edited by da2zoe; 10-17-2011 at 09:47 PM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Download link: [KERNEL] [7-30-11] PeanutButta Jelly Time

If you want to return to stock...
    http://www.chargeforums.com/forum/dr...urn-stock.html

In the event something goes wrong and you need to recover your device, here's a helpful resource thread.
    [HOW TO]Fix your phone

7/24/11 *update/edit:
    After doing a factory reset and flash through Odin (ran into an issue with something so had to revert to OOTB condition) I gained root access by flashing CWM through Odin (using the instructions I linked to in the first post to install CWM) and then installing [KERNEL] [7-30-11] PeanutButta Jelly Time through CWM Recovery menu. Flashing CWM through Odin did not root the device, it only replaced the recovery. Installing the PB&J kernel granted me root access and also enabled the voodoo lag fix. This is the root method provided in the OP (reference method I used). It saves an additional flash using Odin. So you're only using Odin to load CWM, while CWM is used to install the root/voodoo kernel.e

For those asking for screen shots of how this process works!
    ... some of us learn better with visuals... well here is a great thread to aid that!
    http://www.chargeforums.com/forum/dr...een-shots.html

Last edited by Martin030908; 08-02-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    trying NOW /...thanks martin

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    PDA button on the phone or computer?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb0ss View Post
    PDA button on the phone or computer?
    In Odin, which is running on your computer. Here's a good visual guide for using Odin xda-developers - View Single Post - [Odin][Rom][5/29/11]AC's Altered Beast **Alpha** Voodoo & CWM, ED2 with root

A
    ltered Beast, fyi, is a ROM... you can ignore that part of the tutorial... I just thought it was a good visual to show you how to go about using Odin.

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    how did you put the VOODOOchargekernal4.tar in the box for PDA?

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    martin please answer Im almost finished.....i know your watching the game but please help

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb0ss View Post
    martin please answer Im almost finished.....i know your watching the game but please help
    lol. i am watching the game

Click the PDA button and then navigate to where the file is then select it.

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    last question....im trying to put the EE4 protection file on my SD card...when I connect my phone ...i go to to my pc...i drag and dropped the two folders on Removable disk E. it doesnt show up on my sd when i pull it out.......how do i put those 2 folders/file on my sd card.

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I get two folders. 1 META-INF and system is system.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads