DISCLAIMER: ChargeForums.com, myself, and anyone mentioned (in links provided) take no responsibility for anything that may happen to your device by following this guide. You so so at your own risk. But on a good note, this phone is very hard to truly brick and we are here to help should something go wrong.
How to flash with Odin including pictures for each and every step. This is excellent for anyone (especially newbies) to SEE what they should have on their computer and phone throughout the process.
Returning to Stock Process
**The Return to Stock process (in green) will get you back up and running most of the time when you get a bad flash with CWM or have an EXT4 partition problem.
This is necessary to "undo" modding before returning your phone to VZW for warranty purposes or selling. These steps return the phone to stock settings are are valuable for restoring factory setting if a flash has gone haywire.**
Update 12/08/11: Unrooted stock setup based on Gingerbread EP4D. Go here to see the original thread by PENTAFIVE. The PIT file did not change.
1. Download stock UNROOTED 2.3.6 EP4 for the Droid Charge.
2. Download IMNUTS PIT file.
3. Follow the guide below with the addition of adding the PIT file at STEP 14 of the tutorial. You need the PIT file to repartition if you've converted to EXT4 from the stock RFS format. When you add the PIT, the Re-Partition box should automatically be checked. It not, Odin will Fail. This is the only difference to the screen shots for flashing a Rom.
4. Complete the process as shown.
Odin 1.82- Download
Samsung Drivers- Download
WinRar- Download The trial never stops working. Good program to have on your computer.
1. Install Odin
2. Install Samsung Drivers
3. Install WinRar
3a. Extract the Rom if it is a zipped file (check this as some do not need extracting)
4. There should now be an .md5 file on your desktop
- Right click rar
- click "extract here"
- OR.. open with winrar and click and drag to desktop
5. Open Odin 1.82
6. Turn OFF your phone
7. Now put your phone in download mode (can be tricky at times)
Volume Down + Tap power for like a second until a yellow triangle appears
HINT: if that is a no go, power down your phone, take out the battery. While holding volume down, plug your usb cable in. Download mode should appear. Put battery back in.
8. Connect to computer via a good usb cable (it is recommended to use the usb at the back of your computer. If flash fails switch to a different port and try again.)
9. First bottom white slot should now be yellow [Comx] indicating Odin recognizes your phone.
10. IMPORTANT: Check PDA and only PDA. Checking phone can result in an unrecoverable Bricked device!!
11. Click PDA button
12. Browse to where your ROM is located and select it. If you cant find it you didn't extract it.
13. Double check that you only selected PDA
14. Triple check you only checked PDA
If you are RETURNING TO STOCK this is where you do the additional step of adding the PIT file. Do this the same way you added the .md5 file. Now you will have 2 files on your screen.
When you add the PIT, the Re-Partition box should automatically be checked. It not, check it now or Odin will Fail. This is the only difference to the screen shot for flashing a Rom.
Re-Partition-- Unchecked (If RETURNING TO STOCK this box should be CHECKED)
Flash Lock-- Unchecked
Auto Reboot-- Checked (You can uncheck this box if flashing CWM...saves an extra boot)
F. Reset Time-- Checked
Phone EFS Clear-- Unchecked
Phone Bootloader Update-- Unchecked
15. Now click Start button
17. Yellow bar should go green and a message should display on the page saying it Passed
Note: If you get a Fail...don't fret. Try it again. Play around with flashing with and flashing without the battery. If continues to fail re-download the ROM and try again
18. Let phone reboot.
Congratulations!! You're done!
CREDITS: A BIG Thank You!- We love our developers...if you like their work donate to show your appreciation.
*IMNUTS- created the recovery
*PENTAFIVE - Official GB EP4D
*Other Devs that make great things for our phones
*scarygood536 on xda-developers for the screen shots
Again, I take NO CREDIT for any of the files or links provided.