• 1 Post By dlwhtrose
  • 1 Post By jeremiahrodriguez38

Thread: Droid Charge - USB Connected to PC only charges phone

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Droid Charge - USB Connected to PC only charges phone

Hey all - I believe the 32gig SD card that came with my Samsung Charge might need to be re-formatted (it's acting like the file structure might be corrupted). I am unable to reformat the SD card using the phone's internal SD card reformat utility (every time I click the reformat option in the SD menu inside the "Settings" menu, it simply hangs and then gives a Force Quit pop-up). Now, I can access the SD card using my PC laptop, and can right-click on it and reformat it from there, but will this format the SD card with the proper file structure that the phone needs to recognize it? Or, does anyone here have any SD card reformatting tips?Any help would be greatly appreciated!Much thanks, Mark

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Your SD card is merely a storage area and therefore does not have any phone specific file structure. I constantly swap SD cards from one phone to the other and even to my xoom. So I believe formatting it via the pc should be totally fine. Your other option would be to manually remove or delete every file off the SD card. To do this once you mount your charge and can see your sd card contents I would create a file on your desktop and move everything off your sd card and into that file. That should give you a relatively clean slate to start over with and see if the problems persist. If they do then reformat the sd card. But if they dont then obviously you had a corrupted file that you now have moved to your pc and can scan and either fix or delete.

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dlwhtrose View Post
    Your SD card is merely a storage area and therefore does not have any phone specific file structure. I constantly swap SD cards from one phone to the other and even to my xoom. So I believe formatting it via the pc should be totally fine. Your other option would be to manually remove or delete every file off the SD card. To do this once you mount your charge and can see your sd card contents I would create a file on your desktop and move everything off your sd card and into that file. That should give you a relatively clean slate to start over with and see if the problems persist. If they do then reformat the sd card. But if they dont then obviously you had a corrupted file that you now have moved to your pc and can scan and either fix or delete.
    I actually called Verizon's tech support on Saturday about some of the issues I've been having (which seem to be related to my SD card - such as not being able to access the SD card when my Charge is connected to my laptop via USB...and after a factory reset on the Charge, not being able to download any apps from the Android Market)...and the tech support guy said he had very similar issues with his personal Samsung Charge, and found out the issue was that evidently there was a bad batch of SanDisk SD cards that shipped with the first batch of Samsung Charge phones. He called SanDisk's tech support line, and they simply sent him a brand new 32gig SD card as a replacement.

He also said that the reason several of the buggy issues happen when the SD card craps out that came with the Charge is because several apps (and some Android system files) write temp cache files to the SD card when they run...and if the SD card isn't working properly, the phone can't work totally properly either.

Meh :P

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    You would think that if this were the case they would make some sort of announcement saying "hey if you have troubles....." Especially if they are sending out replacement sd cards.

The ironic thing is that md you were told that your issues about downloading apps was caused by a defective sd card. On the Android system apps are defaulted to download to the hard drive of the phone and not the sd card. With Froyo and GB you can now move some of your apps to the sd card but having a defective card should not impact your download ability. Now the lack of being able to access your sd card is because it is faulty. One sure way to tell is if you have another android device that has an sd card in it or if you have a micro sd card laying around, swap them out and see if you can now access the sd card. If so then yes its your card. If not then there is a problem within the programing of your phone.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    *shaking head sadly and rolling eyes*

I really wonder about what our VZW tech support reps know.....er, don't know....these days.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Hahahaha I hear ya zoe. I truly believe that our forum users know more about the devices than any VZW tech support or rep does. I know I have personally told reps and tech support things about these devices that they did not know. That is a scary state of affairs when they are suppose to be the ones we go to for help...............

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

md213

Yeah I have the same problem with my HTC Chacha the SD card that came with it doesn't register.
    CF84

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahrodriguez38 View Post
    Yeah I have the same problem with my HTC Chacha the SD card that came with it doesn't register.

for those that are curious - the issues that i was plagued by were due to a crapped out SD card. i was able to finally get it to mount when connected to my laptop inside a SD card adapter - and in working to copy the contents off to my hard drive...every time i hit a batch of cache files that were on the SD card, it would crap out again.

so for those who think apps don't write cache and temp files to your SD card, you're wrong

once i got all of my music and photos and videos off the SD card, i did a full reformat on it, and it now works like a champ!

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post

I really wonder about what our VZW tech support reps know.....er, don't know....these days.
    How to solve the nation's economic crisis LOL
    da2zoe likes this.
    CF84

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahrodriguez38 View Post
    How to solve the nation's economic crisis LOL
    ROFL! What a great witty comment...I actually laughed out loud! Thanks for the chuckle of the week.

Ads