Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: no internet access and no 3g or 4g

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

no internet access and no 3g or 4g

I don't seem to have internet access.... At the top I have 4 bars, I don't have 4G or even 3g. Any suggestions?

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    We need more information to see what might be going on. Hopefully you can be up and running again soon!

When did the problem start?
    Have you had internet before now...or similar problem?
    Have you called VZW to see if there is an outage or issue in your area?

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the same problem....on my third phone.....I get 4G but can't get 3G and I live in a 3G area. Verizon went through all the tests on my second phone and could not figure out what was wrong so sent a replacement phone.....it had worked fine until today and out of no where it says I have no internet connection. I have taken the battery out several times.....cleared cache.....Same thing as second phone. You get pop up messages that say there is no internet connection. 4G works great when in 4G area but no 3G. I have also tried changing the settings from lte to cdma but nothing works.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Kayln have you called VZW back again. I know it sounds like a pain but I have had this issue as well and it was a bad radio. The reception (4g/3g) is run off what VZW calls radios inside your charge and what I learned is that each (4g or 3g) are entirely different and separate. So while you can have 4g service when you go to 3g service you have nothing (if your 3g radio is not working) and visa versa. If this is the case (and this sounds like it to me) VZW will have to send you another Charge. There is no fix that we can do to make it start working again.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Rose...would a whole new Charge be necessary or do you think a new SIM card would do the trick? I know that's how the 4G transmits.

Droid Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    try putting your phone into airplane mode for a few seconds then take it back out.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Here is how this was explained to me and what we (me and VZW tested) to figure out the issue. Yes 4g needs the sim card for its service. But the sim card is actually your phone's service. But data runs off of radios and there are two within the Charge..... one for 3g and one for 4g. Now if you are able to make calls but not access internet, text messages or emails then most likely one or both of your radios are defective. My problem was I had 4g when I was at work but as soon as I got to my house I had no 3g (and 4g is not in my area). So I was not getting texts or emails, etc. Now the one nice thing I did have that allowed us to pinpoint the issue is that I also have a Tbolt which is a 4g phone. So VZW had me swap my sim card to my tbolt and power up the bolt. If I had 3g on the bolt then we knew it was a radio problem and not a sim card problem. If I had nothing still with the bolt then the first step would have been to replace the sim card and see if signal appeared, if not then replace the Charge. Well lucky for me once the bolt booted up I had 3g and was receiving all my emails and texts. So at that point VZW sent me a new Charge and I can say that I am back up and running with no signal issue.

Now not everyone has two 4g phones in their possession so in that instance you would have to do one of two things. One option you could do is go to VZW and have them get you a new sim card to see if you can access 3g and 4g. If with the new sim card you get signal, then good you are fixed. If not then its most likely a radio issue and they would have to order you a new (refurbished) Charge. Your other option is to call customer service and have them send you a new Charge and sim card and totally bypass the VZW store.

jimmerz unfortunately with the Charge switching it into airplane mode and then out again does not help. Tried that as well as turning off 4g trying to force a 3g connection. All to no avail for me.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Wow...great explanation Rose! Thanks

Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    this is driving me insane as well.. the 4G phones in Verizon (especially the charge) were working 4g fine.. bought the Charge today and within 5 mins 2 blocks from the store no 4G and I live in Houston...than ontop of that the 3g went out I checked my parents phones which are both diff droids one thunderbolt the other droidx both had 4g & 3g coverage mine had nothing with full bars I can call text etc.. just no internet or 3g/4g access what the heck is going on with my phone it's brand new and I just bought it and so far this is ruining my experience with the phone I tried turning on airplane mode than turning it off again it did not work also tried restarting the phone putting it back into factory settings nothing... nothing worked even forcing it to 3g didn't work =/

Droid Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the Droid Charge (was put into this phone when the Fascinate was "recalled"). I have been experiencing call issues, internet unreliability, network errors, and now no 3g or 4g. Spent the last two weeks on the phone with tech support, trying to explain when people would call me all they heard was static, and it was like I was on mute. If I called out, same thing, other party heard static and I could be screaming my head off and they would never know. Finally Verizon agreed to put a new SIM card in my phone (on Saturday afternoon). Wellllll..... that didnt work. Last night (Sunday), I spent the entire evening without access to 3g or 4g. I could call out and send text messages, but any ap requiring internet was not working. It started working briefly again before bed, but now this morning it's the same story.

HOW FRUSTRATING!

Have tried flipping 3g/4g, turning on/off, pulling battery, set back to factory, new sim card...nothing works.

Ads