+ Reply to Thread
    Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

How to keep from auto-syncing apps after restore?

It's starting to get annoying that anytime I need to do a factory reset, as soon as I add my Google account back to the phone, it starts downloading apps from when I first bought the phone. I don't even use any of the apps it downloads anymore. I tried going in and turning off auto-syncing but it didn't work. Turning off Background Data works but as soon as I turn it back on, it starts downloading. Is there a way to disable this on the account?

2. Ads

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    i was curious to know this as well, so after an hour of checking every nook and cranny of gmail and my phone i have found nothing....
    got me on this one....

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    I have never figured out a fix for this...each time I flash I have to open the Market and choose stop downloading. It really is a pain because I like to restore my apps from TiBu. It has more options for restoring stuff. I forget to look into this after flashing because I just want the DLs to stop then I'm restoring and don't remember this is something I want to disable. What about the Settings>Privacy>Automatic restore option? Anyone tried that?

Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post
    I have never figured out a fix for this...each time I flash I have to open the Market and choose stop downloading. It really is a pain because I like to restore my apps from TiBu. It has more options for restoring stuff. I forget to look into this after flashing because I just want the DLs to stop then I'm restoring and don't remember this is something I want to disable. What about the Settings>Privacy>Automatic restore option? Anyone tried that?
    Well...I'm about to do a data wipe since Swype keeps FCing on me no matter what...I'll try that and let you know after I'm back up.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Let us know how that goes. Are you rooted by chance? Can't remember..sorry.

tappin'

Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm not sure which part worked exactly but I didn't auto-sync this time. I just skipped adding a Google account, turned off the option you mentioned, went into Accounts & Sync and turned off Auto-Sync, then added my account and immediately turned off all the syncing on it except Gmail and it worked. No apps downloaded, no million contacts from anyone I've ever sent a single email to. Really sped up the recovery too, whole process from wiping to being back to normal was less than 30 minutes.

Edit: I'm guessing it was the Auto-sync option...though I'm sure I tried that before. But every time I did turn it off, it was after the syncing had already started so maybe once it starts, it can't stop or something. But just to be sure, skip adding the account and turn off all syncing before you add it.

Also, yes I'm rooted with Humblecomb 1.61 EP1W.
    Last edited by Bandin03; 09-11-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandin03 View Post
    no million contacts from anyone I've ever sent a single email to. Really sped up the recovery too, whole process from wiping to being back to normal was less than 30 minutes.

Edit: I'm guessing it was the Auto-sync option...though I'm sure I tried that before. But every time I did turn it off, it was after the syncing had already started so maybe once it starts, it can't stop or something. But just to be sure, skip adding the account and turn off all syncing before you add it.

Also, yes I'm rooted with Humblecomb 1.61 EP1W.
    Oh I hate it when Google does that with all the contacts. I go in and immediately change it to only those with phone numbers. Good to know that worked for you. Haven't had to reset anything for some time now so I'll keep this in mind.

I asked if you were rooted because you mentioned Swype. Have you installed the newest Beta? I love it...but then I've always loved Swype over any keyboard. If you don't have the Beta and want it, let me know and I can give you links for getting it. The thing is that you have to have root access in order to add it because you have to remove all files with stock Swype for it to work.

Droid Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Swype beta was actually the whole reason I needed to restore. I flashed Humble 1.61 over 1.51, which shouldn't have affected the beta files...at least it never did in any other Humble updates. But for some reason, after I flashed I was back to stock Swype and it was in Chinese for some reason. I did the normal delete/back ups of all the Swype files and tried to install 3.25 but every time I would open the installer, I would get a FC on swype.xxxx.inputmethod. Another strange thing was after the data wipe, there was no Swype at all anywhere on the phone...which made it easy to get back to the beta as all I had to do was just install it.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Glad you got everything up and going.

Ads