Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Brewing/drinking beer

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    The first batch I ever did was a single stage, amber ale, because Charlie Papazian (Complete Joy of Homebrewing) said it was easiest to start with.

The reason he gives for going to two-stage is because you leave behind some spent yeast when transferring from first to second stage (and I observed this, when doing it.) I've never used any other instruction books for brewing. Have a couple books of recipes (and some printed from alt.beer.homebrewing or whatever it was ... remember newsgroups?)

Yes, it's all about cleaning all your equipment very, very well, through the whole process. Which works great for me, an OCD computer software engineer.
    Last edited by raddison0264; 11-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    -Rich
    TweakedLite beta, Stock FP8 kernel
    An engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as you needed
    01 Suzuki Intruder 800

2. Ads

Droid Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Technically when you bottle or keg, that's the final fermentation stage, so no matter what, there's at least two stages. And for clarity, you can use Irish Moss or Whirlfloc. I personally like the haze of a homebrew but some lighter beers would server better clear. Irish moss and clarifying agent? - Home Brew Forums

In terms of disusing the secondary fermentation, here's my findings in an email I sent my brother:

"Did a quick Googlin and the consensus was unless youre adding something like fruit, vanilla, dry hopping, or other additives, not using a secondary fermentation for ales is recommended. Basically, if you don't have to do it, it isn't worth the risk to do it. I kept reading that over and over again. It really makes sense to me. I think these links are fairly authoritative.

http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/2009/06/is-secondary-fermentation-necessary-for.html

http://homebrewsecret.com/is-secondary-fermentation-necessary-for-how-to-make-beer/

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/7229/what-is-the-secondary-fermentation-debate

A quote from this link ^ "Therefore I, and Jamil and White Labs and Wyeast Labs, do not recommend racking to a secondary fermenter for ANY ale, except when conducting an actual second fermentation, such as adding fruit or souring."

Those labs certainly know beer so that's more than enough for me."

Brewer likes this.
    Rooted stock FP8

How to: Jelly Bean-style statusbar clock

DROIDINATOR
    Member #
    Liked
    1713 times
    Good info velo. I'm aware of the clarifying agen and irish moss. I thought that had more to do with chill haze, but the brief bit I just looked into it, it's clarifies in general taking care of the suspended proteins, etc. Seems I've used it once or twice in my earlier batches. Went to the 2nd after a week into a carboy and my beer became crystal clear so stayed with it. I'd really like to get back into it to experiment side by side, but I've got a lot of work to get my set up functional again. Sigh...

Regarding the secondary fermentation in the Keg, that isn't always the case. I would transfer to a keg after the fermentation was complete, then carbonate with co2 tank. I suppose there still my be some slight fermentation that can still happen but very minor and I wouldn't consider that an additional fermentation phase based on the lack of bottling sugars.
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Velo, I totally respect your opinion and sources. Also, obviously, it works well for you.

For myself, when I start again (any second, now ) I'll continue with two-stage because it's what I'm used to. It never caused me a problem; I'm a very careful guy.

To be clear (speaking, not clear beer ) although racking to secondary left behind SOME sediment, there was still plenty of active yeast in the secondary, and still a lot that became "yeast hulls" in the bottle, i.e. cloudiness and sediment. And I'm good with that.
    -Rich
    01 Suzuki Intruder 800

DROIDINATOR
    Member #
    Liked
    1713 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raddison0264 View Post
    To be clear (speaking, not clear beer ) although racking to secondary left behind SOME sediment, there was still plenty of active yeast in the secondary, and still a lot that became "yeast hulls" in the bottle, i.e. cloudiness and sediment. And I'm good with that.
    I never got much in my secondary. At what point did you transfer? I was thinking it was after one week but wonder if it was longer than that.

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
    I never got much in my secondary. At what point did you transfer? I was thinking it was after one week but wonder if it was longer than that.
    As I remember, racking to secondary was after 2 or 3 weeks. I guess I could walk across the room and look in the book...
    [clomp, clomp, clomp]
    ...wow, my memory is totally, totally gone. Once I looked in the book, I remembered what it was saying, but ... boy it sucks to be senile!

Anyway racking to secondary is done after 2 or 3 DAYS, when you observe that the fermenting process has slowed down.

Charlie says the reason for it is that, leaving the spent yeast in can impart some "off" flavors.

The whole brewing process (up to bottling) is 2 or 3 weeks for ale. (Longer for lager, of course.) I was thinking 6 or 8 weeks. Maybe I'm thinking of the mead (honey wine with mulberry adjunct) I made, which took considerably longer than ale, even though brewed at room temperature like ale is.

That mead was delicious, by the way. I've determined to start a batch of ale (brown ale or porter, probably) this weekend. Once I'm back in the swing of things, I'll probably try another mead. No time to have it ready for the holidays, though.
    -Rich
    01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Wow, it's been since November that I was talking about this?

I've finally started my next batch of homebrew. English Nut Brown from an ingredient kit by Brewer's Best, purchased from Bell's brewery in Kalamazoo. About to add the finishing hops to the boil.
    -Rich
    01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Droid Technician
    Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Brewer... the early years.

I have Native Damage Resistance.

DROIDINATOR
    Member #
    Liked
    1713 times
    Haha! That was such a good day

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    jspradling7 and raddison0264 like this.

Droid Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Last night I remembered one reason NOT to brew beer. It is SUCH A PITA trying to set up a siphon in a sanitized hose without contaminating it...

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2
    Brewer likes this.
    -Rich
    01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads